Monday, June 22, 2015

"Gram'Pa"; My Mother's FATHER!

A Tribute ; in this "Season of the Fathers"

I loved my Dad; but, I think I loved my Grandfather MORE!  He was the one who taught me HOW to work, HOW to save money, and HOW to "read the Crackers"!  Those skills have proven to be crucial in my successes; throughout several careers.   Those skills sustained me, from Poverty, through a career in the Military, and, on through a second career in the Aerospace Industry.  I am convinced that any child born without white skin in the United States NEEDS these skills; in order to survive, and thrive, in ANY career path!  They are rarely taught, ANYWHERE!

Gram'Pa was so "light-skinned" that most Crackers in Missouri would not, on sight, see him as "Negro", or "Colored".  Those were the words favored by White Folk in Missouri in my early years.
He was a successful Businessman; setting up Shop in 1907.  Through Riots, and instances where he was "burned-out", literally, by Competitors, he persevered!  He even survived being robbed by his Banker (white) and a street thug (Colored)!  He lost one eye in the street robbery.  He had three children and sent the two who would go, to College.  His only Son, my Uncle, was having too much fun as a Rich Colored Man in the Roaring Twenties.  His Sister was Mattie Bridgewater, of Tulsa Riot Fame.  He died a peaceful Death, in his sleep, at the age of 78.

His wife was a dark-skinned Colored Woman of French lineage.  Although a fierce founder of the AME Church in our Community, she failed to lure Gram'Pa to attend.  He was a staunch believer in the old saying that the faithful should "dwell with their God in Private -- and, not make a Public "Show", flouting one's "Achievements".  This is at odds with many AME Congregations.

Through all of the Horrors that plagued our Family after 1945, Gram'Pa, in his way, "kept his hand in" by supporting us, eight orphans, while his wife refused, in many instances!  Under her influence, my Grandmother was able to persuade her Church Members to follow her lead.  Gam'pa; like Dad, was the best Kind of any Parent, known; who believed, first and foremost in "Being There" 24 hours a day, seven days a week!  Always steady, never veering in his Guidance!  No child should ask for more!  Most children today, get far less than that!

Stay Vigilant!  Following the Crowd, can "doom" your child!

Copyright © 2015: Williams LLC
All Rights Reserved:  Williams LLC 
williamsllc

    

No comments:

Post a Comment