Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"EDUCATED" FOOLS !

"Mis-Educated" & "Hyper-Religious" ??
 
Long ago, in a place long-destroyed, there was a single block within the business district of a small Midwest town that had a very interesting history.  On one end of the block was the fabled Maple Leaf Club, where Scott Joplin introduced Rag-Time music to the world.  On the other end was another small "beer-garden" and a warehouse for grocery stores.  In the middle of the block was "The Shops", a magic place owned by my Grandfather and Uncle, engaged in tailoring, haberdashery, and dry-cleaning.  I was privileged to "work" there, starting at the age of ten.  I learned many things that, to this day, are highly valuable.  The people I met on that block live indelibly in my memories and their lessons for me stood me in good stead and I roamed what became my world; as it unfolded beyond that place and time.  One of those lessons was "don't you become one of those 'educated fools'!".  I was often told that, when I told them I wanted to go to college when I grew up.  All of those people were "Colored"!  Most of them never finished High School.  Much of their "education" came from Church and various interpretations of The Bible.  These were people who survived, and managed to  thrive under conditions of state-sanctioned racial segregation, terror, and economic deprivation.
 
More than sixty years later, a degree in Physics, an advanced degree in Public Administration, and an Advanced Executive MBA, have led to two careers and small business ownership.  I have lived and pursued my careers in several of these United States.  I have learned much more from experience than from books.  I am still learning.
 
I recount this, because relevant and practical education has never been more important to non-white citizens of this country than it is today.  It has also, in this Media Age, become more difficult to achieve.
 
"Information" has exploded; most of it misleading and inaccurate.  The "blather" is designed to confuse and delude, mainly for profit, or some other advantage; leading to enhancing or maintaining the power of one group over another.  The black "divide" turns on this issue.  The Hard Right relies on their ability to use the non-white products of "Ivy League" schools to confuse and mislead black citizens.  These citizens are "whip-sawed" by educated fools on the one side, and sleazy religious "leaders" on the other.  This syndrome has kept black citizens "wandering" in their "wilderness" since we "Integrated" this nation more than sixty years ago.
 
Stay Vigilant!  Never stop digging for truth!
 
Copyright© 2013: Williams LLC
All Rights Reserved: Williams LLC  
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment