Saturday, September 28, 2013

"REVELATIONS"

The Greatest Story (rarely) TOLD?
 
If you were like me, growing up; you lived in a house where you heard the Bible quoted, chapter and verse, daily.  That's the problem! The chapters and the verses were selected; to reinforce a point, or highlight a circumstance.  Rarely were the various biblical stories told from a beginning to an end; they were recited; as excerpts.  Until now, that is. 
 
Then, there were the movies: "Ben Hur" (1959), "Ten Commandments"(1956), and "The Robe"(1953)'  all were Technicolor Productions by Hollywood, released during my teen years.  More "excerpts"; re-arranged by Hollywood, so to speak.
 
Also, in my early life, there were the "Hell and Damnation" Preachers, in the various black Christian churches I attended.  More, "scary", excerpts; in those sermons.  I had a tough time matching those stories with people; like the Wassermans and Cantors, who lived, obscurely, among the blacks in my home town.  The whites in Missouri, in those days, hated Jews as much as they hated us "Colored Folk".  Pardon me for growing up thinking that Jews were not white.
 
We now have Reza Aslan's book: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.  http://www.amazon.com/Zealot-Life-Times-Jesus-Nazareth/dp/140006922X  
 
Beginning 164 years before the Common Era (BCE; formerly, BC), Reza Aslan provides a fascinating scholarly account (from non-religious sources; not from the various Christian Faiths).   That was, approximately, 164 years before the birth of Jesus Christ.   As I read his book, those old "excerpts"  sprinkled among my many memories, "burst" into the present.  The account Aslan provides fill in many "gaps" in what I thought I knew about the history of the empire(s), the people(s) and the religion(s) that have dominated events on this planet , to this day!
 
Stay Vigilant!  This book arrives at a time when Religions rise; spreading  Death and Destruction.
 
Copyright © 2013: Williams LLC
All Rights Reserved: Williams LLC    
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment